Does Cold Weather Affect Facial Fillers?
When the weather gets chilly, it can affect our skin in several ways, often causing it to become dry, itchy, and irritated. And if you have a skin condition like eczema, it can make the winter months even more unpleasant. But what about cold weather and facial fillers? If you’re unfamiliar, facial fillers are injectable skin treatments used to add volume and definition to different areas of the face. These popular treatments can be very effective, but if you’re thinking about having them done during the winter, you may be wondering how cold temperatures can affect them.
Cold Weather Won’t Ruin Your Facial Fillers
Although cold temperatures can have certain effects on your facial fillers, you don’t need to worry about the fillers being ruined or permanently damaged. There are several side effects that you may experience with your fillers in chilly weather, but all of them will be minor and temporary. These are the most common symptoms you may experience when your facial fillers are exposed to the cold:
- Redness – Even if you don’t have facial fillers, you might sometimes notice your facial skin turning red when the temperature drops. This happens because of extra blood flowing to your cheeks. However, if you’ve recently gotten facial filler injections, the lingering inflammation from that treatment may cause the redness to be more pronounced.
- Tenderness – It’s normal to experience some tenderness in your face for a few days after getting facial fillers. And when you spend time in cold weather, that discomfort can intensify.
- Bruising – Bruising is another common side effect of facial filler injections. It isn’t a symptom that every patient experiences, but because of the increased blood flow to your face during the winter, significant bruising becomes much more likely.
Although these symptoms can be unpleasant and annoying, none of them are serious or long-term issues. Even if you spend time in freezing weather right after receiving facial fillers, the results of the treatment should not be impacted.
Cold Weather Precautions for Facial Fillers
If you want to avoid the uncomfortable side effects that can result from your facial fillers encountering cold weather, you can take certain precautions.
- Moisturize: It’s always wise to moisturize your facial skin after receiving fillers in the winter. As your skin becomes dry and irritated from the cold weather, your face may get itchy. And if you regularly scratch your facial skin, that could negatively affect your fillers. But, if you periodically apply a moisturizing cream to your face, you can avoid this issue and keep your skin soft, hydrated, and comfortable.
- Stay Indoors: Another possible precaution is to limit the amount of time you spend outside after getting facial fillers. Fortunately, your fillers should only be vulnerable to cold weather for approximately two or three days. So, if you want to avoid worsening your side effects, you may choose to stay out of the cold, dry air while your face recovers from the treatment.
- Stay Hydrated: Did you know that drinking more water can help keep your skin healthy? In addition to using moisturizing products, you can keep your facial skin soft and smooth by simply staying hydrated.
What Is the Takeaway?
You may have heard that receiving facial fillers during the winter is a bad idea, but that’s really not the case. Although cold weather can potentially exacerbate your side effects after receiving facial fillers, the fillers won’t be ruined or permanently affected. And with a couple of simple precautions, you can prevent those discomforts as well. If you’d like to learn more about facial fillers and their benefits, schedule a consultation with our expert team at the AG Aesthetic Center Med Spa in Portland.